Candle & Wax Melt Care
To enhance your Hoss and Home Co burning experience, we ask that you follow our recommendations below.
1. Always keep your candle in a cool, dim and dry place. Remove all wrapping and decorations from the candle before lighting. Placing your candle where it will be exposed to direct sunlight may cause scent throw to dissipate if left for an extended period of time. Keeping your candle in direct sunlight may also cause your candle to melt due to the soft nature of the wax.
2. Allow your initial burn to last 1-2 hours in order to achieve a full melt pool. A full melt pool is when the surface of the wax is melted around all the sides of the vessel. This will prevent tunneling and encourages an even burn throughout the life of the candle.
3. For cotton wicks, trim the wick(s) to 1/4 inch before every burn. This will promote a steady flame and minimizes soot &/or the mushrooming of the wick.
4. Do not burn your candle for more than 4 hours at a time. Soot &/or mushrooming of the wick is likely to appear with candles that have burned beyond the 3-4 hour recommendation. If the flame smokes, extinguish the flame and shorten the wick after the wax cools.
5. The candle vessel will get hot while burning so do not handle your candle while lit. Always let the wax cool and harden before relighting, touching or moving your candle.
6. Always burn the candle within sight. Keep out of reach of children and pets. Never burn the candle on or near anything that can catch fire. Never leave a flame unattended.
7. It is important to keep the wax pool free of debris like wick trimmings and matches to avoid accidental fires. Keep your candle out of drafts so that you increase burn time, prevent uneven burning, avoid smoking, diminished scent throw and accidental fire.
8. The last 1/4 inch of wax at the bottom of the vessel should never be burned. Failure to extinguish the flame can be dangerous resulting in shattered glass from the overheated vessel.
9. To maximize the scent throw, burn the candle in a space reflective of the candles' size. 8 oz. candles or smaller are perfect for small spaces. Burn these candles in a bedroom, bathroom or hallway. 9 - 15 oz. candles are ideal for large spaces. Burn these candles in a kitchen, living space or dining area. Candles 16 oz. or bigger are perfect for backyard spaces, basements or can be used as awesome décor statement pieces.
10. When your candle burning session is done, and after the candle cools, return the dust cover on the candle for protection and to preserve scent throw. This will keep airborne material out of your candle and keep the fragrance sealed for your next burn.
Ways to extinguish the flame:
Do not use water. To extinguish the flame, you can use a tool, like a wick dipper or a wick snuffer, or you can lightly blow on the flame until it goes out. If you decide to blow on the flame, do so carefully or you risk blowing up some of the melted wax, causing a mess and/or possible injury to occur.
- Wick Dipper: A wick dipper is a slick metal rod that is used to bend the wick of a candle into the melted wax pool to douse the flame. This method extinguishes the flame without any smoke, eliminating the build up of soot around the rim of your vessel. Coating the wick in wax makes it easier to relight on the next burn. This tool is a good alternative to blowing out your candle because it eliminates the possibility of germ spreading.
- Wick Snuffer: A wick snuffer is a slick metal rod with a bell on the end that "snuffs" out the flame. This method extinguishes the flame by blocking the oxygen needed to allow the flame to burn, dousing the flame. This method limits the amount of smoke and minimizes the amount of soot that may build up around the rim of your vessel. This is a good alternative to blowing out your candle because it eliminates the possibility of germ spreading.
WAX MELT CARE
1. Place your wax melt warmer on a safe, stable and flat surface away from drafts and anything flammable. Remove the wax melt from the packaging and place the desired amount on the top surface of the warmer.
2. Keep out of reach of children and pets. Only use approved products or wax melts/tarts in the warmer. Follow any additional instructions provided by the wax warmer manufacturer.
3. Never add water. Wax warmers come in different styles – some use tea lights or low wattage bulbs and some are electric. Don’t forget to extinguish the tea light candle or turn off the electrical appliance when leaving the room – never leave them unattended.
4. Always keep your melts in a cool, dim and dry place. Placing your melts where it will be exposed to direct sunlight may cause scent throw to dissipate if left for an extended period of time. Keeping your melts in direct sunlight may also cause them to melt due to the soft nature of the wax.
5. Always use caution when handling the wax warmer. The warmer bowl will get hot while burning so do not handle while it is turned on. Always let the wax cool and harden before touching or moving.
6. Always use your wax warmer within sight. Keep out of reach of children and pets.
7. Never use warmer on or near anything that can catch fire. Never use heat from a stove or use any other non-certified wax melt appliance to warm your melts.
8. When the melting bowl contains less than 1/2 inch of wax, either add another wax melt, or discard the wax once it cools.
9. Do not ingest wax melts. Remember to wash your hands after handling.
10. When the wax melt has cooled, it will solidify. You can re-use the wax until the fragrance has been consumed or remove the wax when solid.